Thursday 30 October 2014

Book Review ... The Help






I watched the film when it first came out and then about 7 time more before I finally purchased the book that inspired it. Sometimes I don't bother reading the book once I have watched the film but I was so glad I did. The film followed the story well but the book made it more personal and emotional. I wish that I hadn't watched the film before just because of the plot that involved Minnie Jackson and her pie. With the spoiler known to me the clues throughout the book where made funnier until it was eventually revealed. Honestly, I never wanted it to end. I want to know what happened to Skeeter's life in New York, Minnie's after becoming an even greater independent woman and Abilene's future that was unsure of what path it would take. Although this book brought joy to my life the realisation came hand in hand that Mississippi in this era was just wrong in all meanings of the word. The maids allowed you to see how life was like for these woman; how unfair and soul destroying it could become. From the first line to the last this book was filled with memorable quotes; I haven't read a book with quotes on this level since reading Life of Pi. You know, the quotes you read and you get this 'wow...that's going to stick with me for the rest of my life' feeling. Maybe I was just being slightly dramatic but this book means so much to me. My love for Celia Foote is unreal along with the pain and sorrow I feel for the fictional maids and the real life woman they represent. I recommend this book like no other; you will love it and if you don't I would be shocked. Just clear everything you have to do because once you start you won't be able to stop. I wish you luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment